Tuesday, September 8, 2009

How I Spent My Summer....

I started this blog in May, so excited to discover that Thomas Nelson publishers would send me (FOR FREE!!!) select books to review. I had always wanted to be an author when I was young, and even though I enjoy reading so much more, I thought this would be a way to polish my writing skills. I will NOT be writing any novels ANYTIME soon, just want to make that clear. My passion is reading, reading, reading.

In June, life as we know it was forever changed. My oldest daughter, Lauren, was a passenger on a Harley Davidson that was struck by an SUV. Her boyfriend (the driver) was thrown from the bike and died instantly. Lauren was pinned under the Harley, which exploded on impact. She suffered full-thickness burns to 40% of her body, and her left leg was amputated mid-calf upon impact. In fact, the left side of her body was badly broken. Her injuries are too numerous to list right now. She was lifelined to one hospital, then transferred the next day to the Richard Fairbanks burn unit in Wishard Hospital due to the extent of her burns. She remains there today. In fact, she was to transfer to the rehabilitation hospital this week, but for insurance and medical reasons, she was told she will be there at least three more weeks. But I am getting ahead of the story.

Her prognosis was grim. She had so many injuries, and each one was critical on its own. For about five weeks, we lived from day to day. She has had so many surgeries I lost count after #10.

Despite all the obstacles, Lauren has survived. I give all the glory to the Lord! She is a miracle! She has a long, hard road ahead of her, but she is going to make it. She is neurologically intact, thank God, so when she is rehabilitated she can come home to her two little girls.

Throughout all of this I forgot all about my vow to become a book reviewer. I had not returned to this blog until this afternoon to post the review for the Max Lucado book, Fearless. I have spent what little computer time I get anymore to post entries on Lauren's Caring Bridge website.

Having returned, I discovered that I missed opportunities to review books I would have loved to review. I started this blog for me, never thought anyone would actually read this!

So, I am making a vow to spend more time doing what I orginally set out to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment