Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Book Review: Fearless by Max Lucado

"Each sunrise seems to bring fresh reasons for fear."

"Can you imagine your life without fear?"

-Direct quotes taken from back cover of book.

I requested Max Lucado's new release, Fearless, with a mixture of skepticism and hope. This summer has been a particularly rough summer for me and my family. I have had many reasons to be fearful. Plus, working at a Christian book store for the last three years, I have witnessed many new releases claiming to have the answer to life's problems. I DO enjoy Max's writing style, and figured, if anyone is going to teach us how to conquer fear, why not Max? So, I requested a copy of this book.

I found Fearless to be informative, reassuring, and touched my heart in several chapters. Easy to read, yet not a light read. Max has a way of drawing you in, and targeting the core of our fears. He covered the gamut of our personal fears in fifteen chapters.

Chapter one opens the book with the story of Max's brother, Dee, who passed away from a massive heart attack while Max was writing Fearless. He also defines fear as well as explains how Jesus conquered fear, once and for all, on the cross. The following fourteen chapters define individual fears, and how Jesus specifically addressed each one. He first addressed fears related to our personal shortcomings, such as, fear of not mattering and fear of disappointing God.

No comments:

Post a Comment