Monday, November 23, 2009

Review of Gone to Green


Title:  Gone to Green
Author:  Judy Christie
Published by Abingdon Press
ISBN:  978-1-4267-0024-8

http://www.christianbook.com/gone-green-judy-christie/9781426700248/pd/700248?item_code=WW&netp_id=621010&event=ESRCN&view=details

http://abingdonpress.com/forms/fiction.aspx?pid=3561


I am reviewing this book on my own.  I borrowed a copy of this book from my local library. I am reviewing this for my own benefit.
First, I want to say that I really enjoyed this book.  I thought the author did a wonderful job!  The characters were well-developed, and the storyline fascinating.

Lois Barker is an aspiring reporter for a large midwestern paper.  She is preparing for a promotion when she learns she has inherited ownership of a small town paper in Green, Louisiana.  Her beloved friend and former co-worker, Ed, has passed away and left her with his dream.  She decides to accept the challenge and moves to Green to take ownership.  The stipulation is that she has to stay a year before she can sell. 

She finds that living in a small town is rarely dull, and the people of this small town are multi-faceted.  Some good, some not so good.  She is dismayed to learn that prejudice and discrimination still exist, and works through relationships she has developed to try to break through the racism, and help make Green a better place to live.  As the reader, I began to fall in love with these people, and found myself mentally chastising Lois when she decides to sell the paper at the one-year mark. 

I know I am not doing this story justice!  I cannot wait to read more of both Lois and the people of Green, Louisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment