Friday, November 6, 2009

Intervention by Terri Blackstock

Book Title:  INTERVENTION

Author:  Terri Blackstock
Publisher:  Zondervan
ISBN:  978-0-310-32198-9

I want to state that I am reviewing this book on my own.  I have not been paid to review this book.  I have not received a free copy from anyone.  I borrowed this book from our local library.

The book begins with a mother, Barbara Covington, staging an intervention for her 18 year-old daughter Emily.  Barbara is a 43 year-old widowed mother of two children, Emily, and 14 year-old Lance.  She takes out a second mortgage to pay the exhorbitant fee the rehabilitation clinic requires.  She also pays an extra fee to have an interventionist from the clinic, Trish Massey, travel to their hometown, lead the intervention, and accompany Emily to the clinic. 
Something goes terribly wrong once the pair are in Atlanta.  Trish is found murdered in her car in the airport garage, Emily is missing, and considered the main suspect in Trish's murder.  Barbara and Lance travel to Atlanta, desperate to find Emily and the answers to this mystery.  Barbara develops a rapport with the lead detective, Kent Harlan.  He begins to doubt the initial suspicion that Emily murdered Trish to hold on to her drug addiction, and begins to listen to and work with Barbara and Lance. 
This book was a typical Terri Blackstock plot, full of action, twists and suspense.  This is by far my favorite, however, because I strongly sensed her heart was in this book.  After reading the Note from the Author at the end, I was correct.  She has experienced the pain, frustration and heartbreak of having a child in the throes of addiction.  I strongly identified with Barbara.  In fact, she seems so real to me that I would love to read a follow-up on her life!  I guess that is called a sequel.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment