Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Rose House by Tina Ann Forkner






My Review of the Rose House, by Tina Ann Forkner




published by Waterbrook Press




I just wanted to add that I am reviewing this book on my own. I did not receive a free copy from anyone!

I couldn't wait to read this book, having loved the first book, Ruby Among Us, and the characters within the book.


Rose House is the story of Lillian. When the story begins, she is grappling with the overwhelming grief of losing her husband and two children in a suspicious accident. She is also dealing with the pain of secrets and betrayal involving her sister and her husband. She visits the Rose House in the midst of her grief, and is unknowingly captured in a portrait painted by a local landscape artist, Truman. She flees from La Roseda, cutting her vacation short, when she suspects someone is stalking her.

Four years later, she is still grieving and having difficulty coming to terms with her many losses. She returns to La Roseda, shocked and at first angry to see the portrait Truman has anonymously donated to the local gallery. The artist seemed to have captured her pain and grief perfectly, leaving her conflicted. She cultivates a friendship with Paige, owner of the local bed and breakfast where Lillian is staying, and Paige helps to discover the painter's true identity.

Lillian and Truman begin a tentative romance. Lillian is not sure she is ready to give up the memory of her husband, and, even though they are strongly attracted to each other, Truman is not sure she is ready. He leaves to give her space, and Lillian is surprised to discover how much she misses him.

I felt that Lillian's sister, Geena, and their history were interesting, but not fully developed. I did not have much sympathy for Geena, and found her to be self-serving. It was hard to have any kind of sympathy for her. Was she really sorry for how she hurt her sister, was a party to the betrayal as well as the "accident" that claimed Lillian's family, or did she feel sorry for herself because her lover was now dead? I wasn't convinced she was truly remorseful.

I also felt that the suspense of whether or not someone was stalking her was good, but also not fully developed. The climax was kind of confusing. Again, I liked the suspense of wondering about whether or not something sinister was happening, but I did not completely understand when it all came out. This too, I felt was not fully developed.
Having said all that, I still loved the book, and would recommend this author to any of my friends. I love the characters that reside in La Roseda, and would love to "visit" again. I would love to get the chance to know and understand Geena better. Hmm...maybe that is what the author had in mind? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment